Pay & Equality Ballot & Get The Vote Out
UCU’s 2019 kicks off with a brand new industrial action ballot on pay, casualisation, workload and the gender pay gap.
Please look out for your paper ballot form, which will arrive in the post to the address you have registered with UCU.
The ballot opens on Monday, 14 January and closes Friday, 22 February.
The two questions on the ballot paper will be:
- Do members support strike action?
- Do members support action short of a strike up to and including a marking boycott?
For this ballot, the result will be aggregated. Instead of each UCU HE branch requiring 50% turnout in order to take industrial action, 50% of HE UCU members collectively, across all universities and institutions, will need to vote.
As part of Bristol UCU’s Get The Vote Out campaign, members are invited to join the Bristol UCU Strike Committee. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to join.
The ballot is about 4 things:
- Reducing casualisation
- Ending the gender pay gap
- Restoring work-life balance
- Increasing salaries to catch up against inflation
As with all such ballots, we urge everyone to make every effort to vote.
No doubt members’ inboxes will be full of UCU emails helping get the vote out January next year. There are several non-email steps that members can take, though:
- Put up posters
- With the help of School and Division reps, list members who have or have not voted, and target only those that have not.
- Organise a meeting with a twist in your School and Division
- Support the campaign on social media (Twitter and Facebook)
Please note: an affirmative and unequivocal vote for industrial action may lead to a renewed offer from employers, which may be acceptable to the UCU membership.
And remember: Vote Yes, Vote Early.